Monday, May 24, 2021

Animal Health & Entrepreneurship with Jay Rainforth

 Shaye Koester (00:00):

Hey, Hey, it's Shaye Koester and I'm your host for Casual Cattle Conversations, where we talk about all things related to ranching, through sharing the stories and practices of different ranchers and their operations.


Shaye Koester (00:17):

Thanks for tuning into another episode. It is great to have you on here. Today, we are going to be talking about animal health, how you can improve some of your practices, why it's important and we're also going to be talking a little bit about entrepreneurship in the beef industry. So for this episode, I brought on Jay Rainforth and he just has so much advice, insight and experience to really share with everyone. So thank you, Jay, for coming on today's show and just a reminder for all my fans to really be active on my social media. It allows me to see what you guys like. If you like an episode or don't like an episode, let me know. I want your feedback. Um, if there are some critiques or criticism, let me hear them. But really be sure to follow along and engage in my live events that I host and really help build that community.


Shaye Koester (01:05):

I mean, that can be with a comment, direct messaging me or sharing my content. It not only allows me to know what you like and deliver the best content to you, but it allows other people to become involved in this community, built around the podcast. So with that, please remember to go follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, but that's a wrap on the intro, I suppose, and we can get on with the episode. But first let's hear from today's sponsor.


Platform Cattle (01:33):

Cattlemen provide stewardship for our land and husbandry to our cattle. Platform Cattle is a brand that provides those cattlemen with the tools and products they deserve to have. Founded by a 5th generation rancher that shares the passion behind the cattle industry. Platform Cattle wants to help introduce new ways to help cowboys, not change them. We are proud to be able to introduce a product that does just that. Bovibox is the first ever free choice protein supplement for cattle that carries a live probiotic post production which can enhance gut health, improve immunity response, increase mineral absorption, and strengthen cow performance. Bovibox includes a full mineral package as well. Featuring Availa® 4 by Zinpro performance minerals. It fits into Natural Value Added and NHTC Value added protocols. Made into a 100lbs block that are packaged in a completely biodegradable cardboard box, so no more tubs to pick outta the fence or the pond. Manufactured by Agri-beef, a major cattle feeding company. This makes Bovibox a product truly made for cattle and designed by cattlemen. For more information about Bovibox and the ways it can fit into your operation. Visit platformcattle.com or call Emmet Storer at (308) 650 -1897


Shaye Koester (02:44):

Would you explain your background in the beef industry?


Jay Rainforth (02:46):

I grew up in the beef industry. A lot of people will say they come from big ranch or a big farm but we were a fairly modest operation and we were involved with everything from the chores. Some of my best memories was laying in feed bunks, riding the elevator up to Kelly Ryan feed wagon, and opening gates. We didn't have any swinging Gates. We didn't have good facilities. Our facilities were poor. Um, we just to grow up in it the good way. I say we didn't have a, like I said, frozen Gates to the ground and warming our hands and feet up in the silage wagon and grinding hay and experiencing hardware in the cattle from the swather might've got into the wire or something. So we seen a lot of experiences and maybe some substandard health, in our cattle and horses. And so that became a big deal to us as we got older and look back. So that's what brought me to where I'm at today is looking at, uh, you know, just some of the things we did were just crazy and so that's, what'd you grew up in the business or in the, in the, in the cattle business.

Shaye Koester (04:06):

So I know you're in Nebraska now, but did you grow up in Nebraska?


Jay Rainforth (04:10):

Yup. Yup. Um, born and raised in South central, Nebraska. I've traveled around since I went to school in Lincoln for animal science business. And so after school, I was in Iowa and then moved back to Nebraska. I've traveled around the country and, with my current position. Um, but yeah, we're born and raised in, uh, in Nebraska and, uh, we're at a place up by Burwell now, so pretty much bred right here in Nebraska.


Shaye Koester (04:39):

Well, there you go. The good life. So you, so right now you're currently operating your own business, but what did your career look like after college, before you got to that point


Jay Rainforth (04:53):

From a step through everything, there was a place in Lincoln called Norton labs, which is now Zoetis. It's animal research and they make pharmaceuticals. And when I was in college, I got a job there in 1987 and I started working in and helping the veterinarians with their research, um, just doing chores with all the test animals and things like that. So I got a feel for what it took to develop drugs, the expense that went into it at the time and the messages, you know, some of them drugs didn't work out and spend a lot of money on them. So I started in college with it, with a pharmaceutical company, and then I went after college, got with another drug manufacturer. Uh that's when I was in Iowa. Um, I left that. I would say that I wasn't maybe grown up enough to handle the corporate lifestyle. So I, I left that and went back home and run our own cows. I calved out a bunch of synchronized AI, first-calf hiefers, backgrounded cattle, took in on stocks and did that for five years when I run out of money. I tell people I didn't go broke. I just ran out of money temporarily. So after that, I went back to the drug manufacturer and worked with them for eight years and traveled throughout the United States in the beef belt with them. And then I went to work with a distributor and then after that, I decided I wanted to start my own business. So that's how, what led me to where I'm at today.


Shaye Koester (06:36):

So would you explain a little bit about what that current business is?


Jay Rainforth (06:40):

I spent time listening to all the veterinarians, distributors, the manufacturers in the pharmaceutical world that I've been in. I listened closely to what their concerns were. You know, I always ask, what keeps you awake at night? What do you lay in bed and look at the ceiling about? There were questions that I asked, what bothers you and then ask the producers, you know, what do they want more of, or less of what's important to them. And that led me to where I got thinking, you know, I would like to do this and I just started a small regional dispensing business, if you will. I focus mainly on cattle. I had a lot of people say, well, you should go into all these species and do all these things and I said, no, I'm going to stay right focused on what I know and what I like and the people I know in the cattle business. So I worked specifically in Northeast, Nebraska. I don't travel across the boundaries. Um, there's plenty of work right here. And I always say that I don't want to leave the people that helped me the most. So I want to stay working within this group that I'm with and I slowly get new customers and we have a ball. So I provide. My whole goal is prevention versus treatment. So if we can reduce the antibiotic usage by doing the little things to keep your cattle from birth to market healthier and more comfortable, that's my goal. That's always been my goal. It's not to manage through a needle or to keep putting more drugs into them. We want to use less. So we want to time these products properly and handle them properly. So that's, that's my passion.


Shaye Koester (08:26):

Well, absolutely. So with that, your main customers, are those more ranchers or are they more on the feedlot side backgrounding, where is that at?


Jay Rainforth (08:35):

It's mainly the feed lot, the feeding, uh, area, uh, some backgrounders and then a handful of ranches. So a fair amount of ranches actually, but I started mainly in the feedlot side of it, so, yeah.


Shaye Koester (08:51):

Awesome. So outside of your business, how else are you involved the beef industry?


Jay Rainforth (08:58):

Um, it seems like it's constant everywhere. It's what I do, you know, I love it. So if I am at a school function, at church, at a ball game, or anywhere we're at people know what I do and I love doing what I'm doing. So it seems like we're always involved that way. I go to sale barns. I help some of these people market their cattle. You know, you still show up in the sale barn and here they are. As far as any boards and things like that, I've worked with the Nebraska Cattlemen's in the past. It seems like I've been so busy I don't have the proper time to give to some of these things. Maybe down the road I will, but right now I'm just involved in extracurricular activities outside of our business with customers.


Shaye Koester (09:44):

Okay, awesome. So you've touched on it a little bit about how your background kind of led you down the animal health road, but what else is it that really made you choose the animal health side of the industry for your career?


Jay Rainforth (09:59):

Uh, that's a great question. I don't know. Sometimes Shaye and I talked to Jason about this, my son, and my daughter, Katie, but you don't know for sure at your age or even in college. You're studying something and you just sometimes metamorphosize into it. And I tell people that you must do something that you're interested in. Sometimes you don't know what you're interested in until you get into it. You know, you're young. We didn't know and you just metamorphosize into something and then once you find out your interest in it and how much passion you really have for it, and then the people that are involved with it, suddenly get know a lot of the people involved and they're helping you and you're doing things with them. And that's probably how it transpired in grade school or high school say I'm going to be doing this for sure. I didn't know. So you just kind of work into it, but you must have a genuine passion for something before you'll be good at it before successful.


Shaye Koester (10:59):

Oh, absolutely. So what are some of the main issues you see with animal health on the ranching side?


Jay Rainforth (11:08):

Um, I think that the biggest issue is not that we need more drugs. We don't need more vaccines and more of these things. I think the biggest thing that I'm seeing, and this has in a ranching, backgrounding and feedlot, it's, uh, we got to focus in on the little things, and that is the timing of when we give these products, how many do we give? You know, we don't want to overload the system, but more importantly, it's the, um, the, the animal husbandry. How are we treating these, setting these cattle up for success, we must treat or set them up for success. We have substandard environments. It's too hot. It's too cold. It's too muddy. It's too dry. It's whatever. So I think a lot of it is we just kind of need to continue taking good care of the cattle so that they're set up for success.


Jay Rainforth (12:06):

You know, I always say we don't need more drugs. I think we've got plenty of antibiotics. We have plenty of vaccines. We've just got to implement them and handle the products properly. So, that's another story. But I think a lot of times what we get is the pharmaceuticals that we think they're bomb proof and we are letting them freeze or thaw and setting them in the sunlight, and we've got, allow these drugs to work. It is something that I emphasize a lot. We must handle our products properly. We must handle our cattle properly. So little things like that is what I spend a lot of time on.


Shaye Koester (12:41):

So with that, where can producers go to become better educated on the handling and specifically the timing of these vaccines, so that they're more effective in their herd.


Jay Rainforth (12:52):

Shaye, we talked a little bit earlier, but I think you're doing something great on doing these types of things. It may not be me. It may be your neighbor. It might be another professional out there that wants to help. But I think your question of who do you go to, you've got to find that person that you trust, that has experience and has success. If you look at if someone who is giving you business advice and they've never run a business, or they want to give you advice on how to raise your cattle and they've never raised an animal. You sometimes question what their experience and what their purpose is. So there's a lot of quote professionals out there that like to give advice, but do they really have experience and success doing what they're doing? So I think that's a big pet peeve of mine is we get a lot of these producers don't know who to believe. You got salesman, you got professional. And yet every time around and saying, use this, do this, let's do these things. Well, I think you need to find that right person. Hey, and I don't, I can't tell you who that is. It might be your local veterinarian. It might be a local nutritionist. It might be a good neighbor. It might be, you know, whoever it may be, find that person and really understand what their motive is and how well-educated and how much experience and how many successes they've had in giving advice.


Shaye Koester (14:16):

Well, absolutely and do you have any examples of certain vaccines that you notice are mishandled?


Jay Rainforth (14:24):

Absolutely, just for example there's a vaccine, it costs maybe three bucks so say it's a combination five-way with a pasteurella and I've seen people set it out in the sunlight. They've mixed up a 50-dose and they set it out in the sunlight where the sunlight is going to kill that vaccine. And within 10 to 20 minutes, you know, whatever time that is and kills it. So when you're administrating that vaccine, we say we're vaccinating, but there's no immunity happening. There's nothing happening. So there's a difference between vaccinated and immunized cattle. Everybody wants to go through the actions of putting a needle in them but if that virus is dead, you've wasted your money and your time and everything. So mixing up a vaccine, for example, you mix it up, keep it a glove or in a cooler or something. Keep the sunlight out of it, use it up as quickly as you can, within 30 minutes or 20 minutes. If you can get it out of there, then use smaller vials if you can. So there are the little things that, because you're really doing no good. So when I see these cattle, these calves off the ranch and at the backgrounder, or coming into the feed yards and the feedyard is saying we're treating all kinds of cattle. They were vaccinated. That's the whole story we need to understand. Just because there were vaccinated, does not mean they have an immune system. So there might've been someone that wasn't educated administrating that vaccine to the basic animal coming in and they get sick.


Shaye Koester (16:03):

Well, thank you for sharing that. I know that's something it's easy to forget. You take that bottle and you set it down to go do something else. Well then how often does quick turn into an hour or something like that? So with that, is there anything else that producers need to be aware of practice-wise with the animal health industry?


Jay Rainforth (16:24):

You might've asked this question before. I didn't get to it to who do you, who do you go to? You know, there's a plethora of people out there that will give you advice and you just got to choose who that is. Um, I think that, that's a great question. How do we get to the right people? I don't know, Shaye, I can't answer that question. You just gotta keep getting out thereand you gotta keep interviewing and finding out who the people are that you can go to to get that information.


Shaye Koester (16:54):

Alright. Well, awesome. Thank you. So what trends in the animal health industry do producers need to be aware of that are kind of in the process of coming up?


Jay Rainforth (17:04):

Um, I would say, like I said earlier, I don't know if we're hungry for a lot more vaccines, antibiotics and probiotics and things like that. I think the biggest thing that I'm looking at, how do we get, whether it be equipment products to be more efficient with our labor. Labor is our number one concern. Labor is going to continue to be our concern. So when we're trying to take care of say a thousand head with one person, we'd like to see that get, you know, maybe 5,000 with one person. So how do we do that? We've got to have a look at the rest of the equipment to be using there's things like, uh, you know, they're working on some tags that are in cattle's ears that might help detect temperature or sickness. So people can identify that. That's what I'm saying.


Jay Rainforth (17:56):

Um, little things like that, anything to do to be more efficient with our labor is going to be the big thing. Um, I think we see a lot, the trend that's happening now is all over. Is it, companies are merging, everybody's getting big corporate ties and all that. I don't think that's always good. So the further we get away from that animal, the less informed we are.That Sounds real simple doesn't it, Shaye? The clsoer we can be to that animal, the more informed you are going to be, and the more of a resource you're going to be. And the trend that is going on now is let's get big. Everybody merge, let's buy, and let's do everything. Let's do animal health. Let's do insurance, let's do nutrition. Let's do all of these big things. Well, how good can you be when you grow out of your boundaries? So a trend going on now, and I don't know if it's good or bad, but it's certainly not the direction I'm going in is to be big. I want to take care of the people that have taken care of me and stay as close to that animal as I can be, because that's what I do.


Shaye Koester (19:04):

Well. Absolutely. And I mean, that's a simple concept when you have that experience and that real life experience, it is more educated and you are able to help people better if you're there every day, or almost every day, as opposed to having to go through three people to get that answer. So what is the most challenging part about being in the animal health industry?


Jay Rainforth (19:29):

I would say right now it's the markets and what's going on. You know there was a fire down in the Holcomb plant. It wreaked havoc with the markets. We didn't ask for it. It was a natural disaster, completely moved the market. You have the internet, things that are changing, and rumors. You can't follow the market anymore. People ask for advice. I mean, I don't know what to tell them. I never have. Even the professionals suggest there's too many outlying things. You know, this virus that came through this last year has changed things. You look at everything that's going on and we are in such a time where these telephones allow you to get information too quick. And when you get information too quick and pass it on, it's called a rumor and it's not factual. So the markets change because of that. So what I'm saying is that there's such volatility in markets. It's just crazy. I don't know how to follow it anymore and I don't know how accurate it is.


Shaye Koester (20:34):

Right. And that's a trend, an issue that's been brought up on episodes before this and elsewhere, as far as just when you're trying to follow those trusted people. But what's the most rewarding part about this industry for you


Jay Rainforth (20:53):

Without a doubt, working with the people. I've got friends that are car salesmen or they're within another industry and I can go down the road here and to every customer, I have always said, I don't want you as a customer if I don't want to spend a day on a fishing boat with you or a week on a golf course with you, you know what I mean? Those people are genuine common sense people. And we're all working towards a common goal. You know, we want to just do our thing, raise some beef, and be good stewards of the land. I think that we need to all advocate that and emphasize that more. We're not raising animals to abuse them. We're not owning land to abuse it. We want it to be better. We understand our land, we understand our cattle and we need to get that message out there much more because I see people that don't have the experience trying to tell us how to manage it and how to do it, how to raise our cattle and our land. So it's just the people. I mean, that's kind of a general answer, but the common sense people, there's not a lot of crazy. You know, I don't like crazy. So they're just good people. That's the biggest thing.


Shaye Koester (22:06):

Absolutely. I mean, I always say in the beef industry, it's one of the best industries to be involved in because especially as a young individual who's interested, I don't know that I've ever had anyone turn me down when I've asked for help or advice from somebody. It's very much a team effort. With that before we transition to the entrepreneurship side. Do you have any other final advice on the animal's health side or,


Jay Rainforth (22:32):

Um, I think the takehome message that I tell everybody is to understand the real production practices. If you don't understand the real production practice as to how an animal goes from birth, how it's merged to market, and you don't know the little things that go in between there, you're probably not going to be real successful. So understand the production practices. And I think that's something that we've all a lot of people professionals included have gotten away from. And if you understand the production practices and understand the people, keep your interpersonal skills in checks, keep your selling skills in checks and understand this business and you're going to be just fine.


Shaye Koester (23:20):

Well, that is awesome advice. And thank you very much for that. Going back to your own business. I mean, you kind of touched on it and kind of touched on the timeline, but how long have you been independent with Rainforth Animal Health?


Jay Rainforth (23:36):

Oh, probably about 10 years. Uh, and from 1987, up until 10 years ago, all of my experiences and all my and companies and bosses and counterparts have helped me so much and I couldn't have done what I'm doing without that experience. So I'm very, very thankful to not only those in my professional field, but also the customers that have helped me and been with me and spent time with me and we visit a lot. We communicate a lot. So it's been about, probably about 10 years.


Shaye Koester (24:13):

Okay. And so you talked about how you had worked in different labs and took on the corporate lifestyle. Then you kind of went back to the ranch and then went back to more of that lifestyle again. So between when you were working kind of in that corporate setting or working for other people, what factors went into your decision to leave?


Jay Rainforth (24:38):

Um, one thing was my family, you know, I was starting to have kids and I was staring at airplane windows traveling over to South Texas to Montana and all over. I was gone a lot and I was sitting in the airports and I got to thinking, you know, for me, for some people that's great. But for me, my family was my number one driving force. I needed to be home. I wanted to get control. I was told to travel to these places. I wasn't asked to go there by the people and it just bothered me a little bit. So I didn't feel as worthwhile maybe traveling. Like I was about worrying to get home with the family gained more control of what, uh, I can do. I was very confident in what I do, not arrogant, but I'm very confident in my ability to go out and work in and accomplish these things.


Jay Rainforth (25:31):

So that was probably the biggest thing is just being gone so much and wondering why I was gone really, what was I going for? And, success comes before money. You don't make money and then become successful. Success comes before money. And so it wasn't about being Tommy tarmac, traveling all over the world. It's about doing something close that means something. So that's what I hang my hat on is I'm truly passionate about what I do. I want to do the right things for these customers and their cattle and that's what I'm going to continue to do.


Shaye Koester (26:12):

So with that, then what were the most challenging items or what hurdles did you face starting a business in the beef industry?


Jay Rainforth (26:24):

Um, I'll start with the business in general and that is you've got to have credit. You've got to have a good banker. You've got to have customers. You've got to have suppliers. So working together with all the people and gaining the trust. That was the biggest thing. Uh, it's just like every business you've gotta be transparent. You gotta be honest. You gotta be straight up with your bank, with your customers, with your suppliers, and with everybody. We all want to help each other. You said that earlier, people are willing to help. People are absolutely willing to help, but as long as you are honest with them and open with them. Uh, as far as starting in the beef industry, you know, no matter what the markets are, you got to keep them healthy. So that's one thing I knew that in the animal health field. If people say, "Well, the markets are bad I can't. Well, don't vaccinate them then." I'm just brutally honest. You don't have to vaccinate them. You don't have to implant them. You don't have to deworm them. You don't have to do any of that stuff, but you're going to lose a lot of money by not doing that. So the minimum you've got to do is keep your cattle healthy. So you've got to use these products. I mean, most of them to keep that animal alive, keep it healthy and keep it profitable. So I don't know if that's a challenge, but it's just something that I guess maybe, I don't know if it was a challenge or not, and we just, uh, the markets and things like that, dictate it.


Shaye Koester (27:50):

All right. So looking back on that year, that timeline, when you were making that leap, what would you say is one of the best things you did to set yourself up for that success?


Jay Rainforth (28:03):

I would say I took fear out of things. And if you take the fear of going broke or a fear of failing or fear of what people might say about you, it's amazing what you can get accomplished. And, uh, you know, growing up we're all insecure. We still, you know, have insecurities, but it took me a while to get there and it was tough. But, uh, you take the fear out of going broke, seeing what people think about you and all that. You, you can get a lot accomplished. And I think that's the biggest reason why people, you know, 95% of the people work for somebody. A lot of people don't want to make decisions and that's fine. You know, whether it be a corporate America, government, you know, big tech companies or whatever those decisions are made for you, if you're confident in what you get accomplished, you can do it. But yeah, taking the fear out of it is probably the biggest thing.


Shaye Koester (29:08):

Well, that is outstanding advice. I know we talk about that in the Engler program. Dr. Field is always talking about fear and resistance and taking that out of the equation. And it's a big step and it's been a big step for this podcast. So is there anything you wish you would've done differently?


Jay Rainforth (29:27):

I don't know. I could say I could have started out earlier. I wish I would have started sooner, but you know, I didn't have the experience or maybe the confidence sooner. So everything happens for a reason and there's a whole bunch that I could have done differently without going through them all. There's a whole bunch of things, but I mean, you just don't know until you look back, hindsight is 2020. So yeah, without going to drag it through a lot of the mistakes there were a few things I could have done differently, but nothing that's pertinent for this discussion.


Shaye Koester (30:05):

As we wrap up. Is there any final advice you have for entrepreneurs?


Jay Rainforth (30:10):

Um, people always talk about working hard. Boy, I work hard. He works hard. She works hard. I would say that you want to work smart, work smart. That make sense? You don't got to work hard and go out and pull a plow by yourself. Um, work, smart, be social. You can sit in your house or your apartment or your vehicle all day. But until you get out and meet the people, cattle, don't make decisions. People make decisions and you must know them and they must trust you. So you've got to get out and I've told my wife this, that, you know, there's so many functions that I need to go to and I do go to, and I've gone to a lot and I still can get love going because I liked the people you got to show up. You gotta show up to the dance. You gotta show up through the party. You gotta show up at the meetings, the social functions, all of that showup and meet people and do a genuinely, um, you gotta have fun and to have fun, you gotta be fun. And that's it. You know, everybody wants to be around a fun person, right? You've got to be fun. You got to enjoy, you got to relax and enjoy the whole, the whole process. And probably another thing that I would say that I would want people to understand is you've kind of got to dress the part. And that can go in a lot of different ways. You, you don't show up to a cattle meeting in a pair of shorts. You can, but this is our environment. This is what we do. You know, we, uh, dress the part. So I think that work smart be social and have fun. Those are the main things that I would say you need to stay in tune to.


Shaye Koester (32:05):

Those are all the questions I have for you. So unless you think of something else that you want to throw in here that's a wrap.


Jay Rainforth (32:11):

um, well, I don't know. I appreciate the time that you're doing this, the time of you doing this, I think it's a great thing. So yeah, we'll just stay in touch.


Shaye Koester (32:24):

And that's a wrap on that one. Thank you for tuning into today's episode. Thank you, Jay, for sharing so much knowledge and experience with us. I really got a lot out of the interview and episode, and I really hope you, as my listeners also gained a lot of insight, be sure to go drop a comment about what you learned, something you enjoyed about this episode on one of my social media posts and remember to tune in for those live events. If you're interested in having a recap about it, and with that, have a great start to your summer and tune in to the next one.


Platform Cattle (33:03):

Let's hear from today's sponsor platform. Cattlemen provide stewardship for our land and husbandry to our cattle. Platform Cattle is a brand that provides those cattlemen with the tools and products they deserve to have. Founded by a 5th generation rancher that shares the passion behind the cattle industry. Platform Cattle wants to help introduce new ways to help cowboys, not change them. We are proud to be able to introduce a product that does just that. Bovibox is the first-ever free choice protein supplement for cattle that carries a live probiotic post production which can enhance gut health, improve immunity response, increase mineral absorption, and strengthen cow performance. Bovibox includes a full mineral package as well. Featuring Availa® 4 by Zinpro performance minerals. It fits into Natural Value Added and NHTC Value-added protocols. Made into a 100lbs block that are packaged in a completely biodegradable cardboard box, so no more tubs to pick out of the fence or the pond. Manufactured by Agri-beef, a major cattle feeding company. This makes Bovibox a product truly made for cattle and designed by cattlemen. For more information about Bovibox and the ways it can fit into your operation. Visit platformcattle.com or call Emmet Storer at (308) 650 -1897

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dos and Don'ts of Advocacy with Chandler Mulvaney

Performance Beef  00:00 How do you manage data for your cattle business? Performance B eef is a comprehensive technology solution, integrati...